A unique place in Finland, Lappeenranta, South Karelia region. Inhabited and full of life even today, it once formed part of a defense system that also included the fortress of Suomenlinna in Helsinki and the fortress of Hamina.
- Although different in size, all three of these fortresses are of a similar nature and share the same passion for development. While seeking to protect and preserve these areas through careful land use planning, they also aim to increase services and levels of activity around the year.
- The Fortress of Lappeenranta was born and built squeezed between east and west. At first, the town of Lappeenranta developed in the shelter and safe vicinity of the Fortress, gradually expanding to the surrounding countryside known as the former parish of Lappee. The Lappeenranta Fortress became the ‘Old Town’, which has nevertheless remained inhabited and full of life.
- Today, the Fortress is a valuable component of Finnish, Russian and Swedish cultural heritage and forms part of the Castles and Fortifications chain of cultural destinations. The oldest buildings, such as the Orthodox Church and the Former Commandant’s House, date from the 1770s, the wooden buildings from the 19th century and the brick-built military garrisons from the early 20th century.
How to get there?
- Lappeenranta Fortress area can be entered freely.
- There are signs in the town that guide you to the fortress area. Accessing the is easy with your own car, or by walking.
- Get direction button on this page will guide you to your destination using google Maps.
Customer Service & Guidance
- Customer Service Winkki
- Customer Service Center Winkki is located at the ground floor of Lappeenranta City Hall. You will find us to the left of the main door when you enter from the Kansalaistori Square. At Winkki we provide information about the city’s services in Finnish and English. You can also pay your parking tickets in cash at Winkki. We are open on weekdays during 9-17.
- Villimiehenkatu 1, 53100 Lappeenranta.
- Tel. + 358 (0)5 616 2220, firstname.lastname@example.org.