Riisitunturi National Park
National park in the Posio, in the province of Lapland.
- It has an area of 77 square kilometers and was established in 1982. The park is especially known for its humid climate created by its slopes and winter cannon formations.
- The nature of Riisitunturi has inspired nature scientists, especially marsh scientists, and the area is the subject of research at the Oulanka Research Station.
- The National Park has winter and summer trails, short and one day trails, for example the Riisin Rääpäsy (4.3 km) and the Riisin Rietas (10.7 km), and a hiking trail (26-29 km) through the park from Noukavaara to Kirintövaara.
- At the edge of the double peak Riisitunturi is the park’s only desert.
- Riisitunturi National Park was selected as the Excursion Site of the Year 2010 in Finland as a result of the public vote.
How to Get There?
- Riisitunturi starting point is 1,2 km from Tolvantie road / Syrjälahti and about 6 km from Tolva Village.
- Kirintövaara starting point is along road 81 (Kuusamo – Posio – Rovaniemi). To Kirintövaara starting point, drive 11 km from Posio, and turn left towards Kirintövaara.
- From Kuusamo it is about 67 km to the National Park.
– Drive north on road 5 (E63) for about 10 km. Turn left onto the road Rovaniementie (nr 81) then drive about 38 km, turn to the right to road Patosalmentie (nr 9471) and drive 18 km. Arrival to Syrjälahti parking area on the left side of the road. Turn right and drive the graveled road 1,2 km to the parking area.
- From Posio it is about 30 km to Riisitunturi.
– Drive towards Kuusamo for about 15 km and turn left onto Tolvantie road nr 9471. From the fork of the road, it is about 19 km to Riisitunturi starting point.
- From Rukatunturi / Ruka area it is 35 km drive to Riisitunturi National Park.
– Drive to road 5 (nro 5 / E63) towards Kemijärvi (north) 6.5 km, turn to left Alakitkantie road and drive about 12 km. After that turn left to Tolvantie road (nro 3471). Drive about 13 km and turn to a forest road and drive 1.2 km to the parking area of the nationa park. There are national park’s traffic signs near the crossroad.
By public transport
Find Taxi • Find Railway station • Find Airport
- The nearest airport is in the town of Kuusamo.
- The nearest railway station is at Kemijärvi, about 130 km from the National Park. By train you can get to Kemijärvi, Rovaniemi and Oulu.
- There are daily bus connections (www.matkahuolto.fi) from Rovaniemi and Kuusamo to Posio. The coach service between Posio and Kuusamo stops closest to the National Park.
Customer Service and Guidance
Oulanka Visitor Centre
- The area is open every day 24/7. Visitor Centre customer service differ from that.
- +358 20 639 6850, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Guidance, introductions, exhibitions, information on hiking in Oulanka and Riisitunturi National Parks and the surrounding areas, maps can be bought.
- Cafe Puistokahvila in the Visitor Centre sells souvenirs and picnic food. Groups can get meals in the cafe by reservation.
Kuusamo Customer Service Karhuntassu
- Guidance and information on hiking, maps and hunting and fishing permits can be bought.
- There are Kuusamo Info and a cafe in the same building.
Please read instructions and rules in Riisitunturi National Park before visiting.
You can leave your photos and review at the bottom of this page! Enjoy your visit!