Oulanka National Park is located in the town of Kuusamo and in the municipality of Salla in the Eastern Lapland.
- The park is bordered to the east by Russia and by the Paanajärvi National Park, which was established in 1992, with which Oulanka is constantly cooperating.
- Oulanka National Park is a diverse combination of northern, eastern and southern nature. The landscape is dominated by pine forests, river valleys with rapids and sandbanks and extensive swamps in the northern part. The fauna is rich and many endangered animal and plant species thrive in the area. The National Park was established in 1956.
- Oulanka is one of the most popular national parks in Finland, where you can take many days of hiking as well as a few hours of sightseeing. Kiutaköngäs, for example, is a hundred-meter waterfall located less than a kilometer from the Oulanka Visitor Center.
- There are several day hiking trails in Oulanka: Hiiden hurmos 5 km, Könkään keino 8 km, Rytisuon luontopolku 5 km, Kanjonin kurkkaus 6 km and Pieni Karhunkierros 12 km. The unobstructed trail is a 150-meter rock-covered path below Kiutaköngäs, north of the Oulanka River, which is suitable for all hikers. Its starting point is an accessible toilet. The most famous hiking trail in Finland, the Karhunkierros, is located in the Oulanka National Park.
How to Get There?
- Hautajärvi village, Hautajärventie 414, Hautajärvi.
- Ristikallio parking area, Sallantie 174, Kuusamo.
- Oulanka Visitor Centre, Liikasenvaarantie 132, Kuusamo.
- Juuma parking area, Juumantie 134, Kuusamo.
By Public Transport
Find Taxi • Find Railway station • Find Airport
- Busses travel to Oulanka National Park from Salla and Kuusamo.
- The Karhunkierros Bus drives on schooldays via Ruka, Juuma, Käylä, Ristikallio parking area and Hautajärvi. Connections to Oulanka Visitor Centre and Juuma vary on different times of the year.
- The Airport Bus connection from almost every Kuusamo Airport’s scheduled flights to Salla via Ruka, Käylä, Ristikallio parking area and Hautajärvi is available also for others than flight passengers.
Customer Service and Guidance
Oulanka Visitor Centre
- The area is open every day 24/7. Customer service differ from that.
- +358 206 39 6850, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Guided tours, introductions, exhibitions, information on hiking in the National Park and in surrounding areas.
- Maps, fishing permits, Oulanka theme products.
- From the Cafe also snowshoe rental.
Please read instructions and rules in Oulanka National Park before visiting.
You can leave your photos and review at the bottom of this page! Enjoy your visit!