Tiilikkajärvi National Park
Located in the areas of Rautavaara and Sotkamo, in the Kainuu and North Savo regions of Finland.
- It was established in 1982 and covers 34 square kilometers.
- The area was established to preserve wilderness-like lake, river and esker ecosystems, as well as the open aapa bogs surrounding Lake Tiilikka. As an indication of the area’s wild and remote character, a lucky hiker may even get a visit from a Siberian jay.
- Northern bird species brambling and rustic bunting are common in the park’s forests. The most common bird species of the bogs is the yellow wagtail.
- The scenery is dominated by low, narrow ridge capes covered by pines. The eskers were formed when the ice sheet melted more than 10,000 years ago. As the edge of the ice sheet retreated, tunnels carved by the meltwaters turned into low eskers with steep slopes.
- Tiilikkajärvi is brilliant for independent hikers who love nature. Even terrain but no services for the physically disabled. There are approximately 20 km of marked trails in the National Park. The park’s most popular trail, the Uiton kierto circular trail (7 km), runs through easy terrain around lakes Sammakkojärvi and Autiojärvi.
- You can enjoy the eskers, shores, mires with hare’s tail cottongrass and deep forests on foot, on skis or in a canoe. Parts of the Tiilikkajärvi National Park are closed to the public during certain times of the year. Please respect the signs!
How to Get There?
- There are signposts for those coming by car from road 6 and road 87. Parking areas can be found at the Sammakkotammi information point and at Cape Pohjoisniemi. There are signposts to Pohjoisniemi parking area at the intersection of road 870 and Pohjoisniementie Road.
- During winter cars only have access to Sammakkotammi parking area.
By Public Transport
Find Taxi • Find Railway station • Find Airport
- The closest bus station is in Rautavaara 15 km from the National Park.
- Matka.fi provides information on the bus time tables (matka.fi).
Customer Service and Guidance
- Tiilikkajärvi National Park area is open every day 24/7. Customer service differ from that.
- The main information point is Sammakkotammi,Valtimontie 1095, 73900 Rautavaara. The Information Point is located by road 5850 on the shore of Lake Sammakkojärvi.
Koli Nature Centre Ukko
- Ylä-Kolintie 39, 83960 Koli (Lieksa), Finland
- Customer Service tel.tel:+358 206 395 654 email. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read instructions and rules in Tiilikkajärvi National Park before visiting.
You can leave your photos and review at the bottom of this page! Enjoy your visit!