Syöte National Park
Located in the Posio, Pudasjärvi and Taivalkoski areas, in Lapland and North Ostrobothnia regions.
- The park was established in 2000 and covers an area of 302 square kilometres.
- The park consists of four separate areas: Syöte, Maaselkä, Latva-Korte-Kärppävaara and Salmitunturi. The park is located in the border area of the North marshland and the Northeast landscape. The park is named after Iso-Syöte, the southernmost mountain in Finland.
- The Syöte National Park is located in a reindeer husbandry area, and reindeer husbandry and the associated economy can be seen in its natural landscape as well as traces of old forestry.
- The area is a chain of old-growth forests, part of which is high altitude forest. One fourth of the area of the park is covered by mires of different types. Many of the mires have not been drained.
- The wooded hills of area are covered with magical crown snow in the winter. The old trees provide shelter for a large number of rare species.
- An old forest provides a habitat for various other endangered species or species needing special protection. A lucky person climbing to the top of Ahmakallio observation tower can spot a golden eagle flying above the forests of Syöte.
- The Emblem of Syöte National Park is Meadow barn.
- The trekking trails (more than 100 km) are well marked. Some trails are also accessible with a pram or by wheelchair.
- There is a canoe route (22 km) including the boat launch sites and the rest spots along the beautiful River Pärjänjoki.
- The ski season often starts in November-December, and at the time of the annual skiing holiday of schools, the cross-country skiing network is at its widest (more than 100 km long).
- In the Syöte region, there are three mountain bike routes to choose from: by combining these routes, you can pedal close to 80 km. There are very few road sections along these routes! You can start all routes at the Syöte Visitor Centre, where you can get tips and maps.
- Syöte National Park is suitable and excellent for families with children and for those who wish to go on an active holiday. Some accessible services like visitor centre and trails.
You can leave your review at the bottom of this page! Enjoy your visit!