Syöte National Park is a national park located in the city of Pudasjärvi and the municipality of Posio and Taivalkoski in Lapland, Finland. The distance to Helsinki is about 750 kilometers.
- The park consists of four separate areas: Syöte, Maaselkä, Latva-Korte-Kärppävaara and Salmitunturi. The park is located in the border area of the North marshland and the Northeast landscape. The park is named after Iso-Syöte, the southernmost mountain in Finland.
- Syöte National Park was established on 2003. The area of the national park is 299 square kilometers.
- Syöte National Park is a chain of old-growth forests, part of which is high altitude forest. One fourth of the area of the park is covered by mires of different types.
- There are a total of 122 kilometers of marked trails in National Park. The Pärjänjoki canoeing route is 22 kilometers long. The area is especially popular with mountain bikers. The cycling trails in the park are 19 to 54 kilometers long.
- The national park is located in a reindeer husbandry area, and reindeer husbandry and the associated economy can be seen in its natural landscape as well as traces of old forestry.
How to Get There?
- From Oulu and Pudasjärvi directions: The road 858 to Iso-Syöte turns from the main road 20, about 30 km after Pudasjärvi when going to towards Kuusamo. There is a sign to the National Park at the fork of the road, and the distance to the National Park from there is 28 km.
- When coming from Kuusamo towards south, turn at Taivalkoski to Posio, road 863, and drive 19 km. In the village of Virkkunen, turn to the road 862, from there it is 18 km to Iso-Syöte.
- The edges of different parts of the park, and the starting points of many trails can be reached by car.
By Public Transportation
Find Taxi • Find Railway station • Find Airport
- In the ski season, usually until 31 May, a coach operates from Oulu and from Pudasjärvi to the Syöte resorts on weekdays. In addition, transport is arranged from Oulu (the ski buses) at weekends. By hopping on the local ski bus, you can travel from the hotels and from the nearby area to the visitor centre or close to (walking distance) the front slopes of Iso-Syöte. Please see timetables and prices (www.syote.fi).
- On schooldays, two coaches operate between Pudasjärvi and Syötekylä. Take a look at the timetables on (www.matkahuolto.fi).
- The coach stops by the visitor centre, when necessary.
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Syöte (www.journey.fi)
Customer Service and Guidance
Syöte Visitor Centre
- The area is open every day 24/7.
- Erätie 1, 93280 Syöte (Pudasjärvi), Finland
- Tel. +358 206 39 6550
- Email. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nature-themed souvenirs and gifts, hunting permits, licences for the snowmobile routes maintained by Metsähallitus, a café-restaurant, meeting services, nature education. Services provided by the cooperating partners are also available.
- An excellent location for families with children. Also suitable for the disabled. It is allowed to bring pets in the Visitor Centre.