Salamajärvi National Park is located in the Central Ostrobothnia and Central Finland regions of Finland, in the municipalities of Perho, Kivijärvi and Kinnula.
- Salamajärvi is located in the rugged watershed region of Suomenselkä. This large, uninhabited area is especially known for its diverse mire ecosystems and its set of wilderness animals.
- The National Park was established at 1982 and covers 62 square kilometers.
- Park is known especialy for its deers and Suomenselkä watershed. In addition to deer, the national park has primeval forests, small forest lakes, swamps and fields.
- The Deer Trail (Peuran polku) hiking trail starts in the national park, which includes about 115 kilometers of hiking trails from Perho to Reisjärvi
- Heikinjärvenneva is the most important of the mires in the park. From the observation tower standing on the edge of the mire, you can watch the abundance of wader species in the national park.
- The most impressive forest nature of the national park is the Koirajoki old-growth forest area, which has been protected by Metsähallitus decision since 1912. There is a large number of tall old trees in the Koirajoki pine-dominated old-growth forest.
- If you are lucky, you may spot the Wild Forest Reindeer on the hiking trails of the national park. The population of the Wild Forest Reindeer has increased in Suomenselkä area to over 1000 individuals.
- On the way, you can stay overnight in a tent, a lean-to shelter, a hut or rental hut.
How to Get There?
- When coming from the south: From the main road 13 (Äänekoski – Kokkola) there are signs for the National Park at the village of Möttönen in Perho. The distance to Koirasalmi in the National Park is about 20 km. From Möttönen Village, turn north-east towards Kivijärvi, road 6520. From the road 6520 (Perho – Kivijärvi) turn north to Koirasalmi road (=Koirasalmentie), following the signs.
- When coming from the east: From Kivijärvi drive road 6520 towards Perho. Distance to the National Park is 20 km. Turn right to Koirasalmi road (=Koirasalmentie), following the signs to the National Park.
By Public Transportation
Find Taxi • Find Railway station • Find Airport
- There are coach services (www.matkahuolto.fi) from Jyväskylä to Kivijärvi, Perho and the village of Möttönen in Perho. From Kokkola there is coach service to Perho and the village of Möttönen in Perho. From Möttönen you need to take a taxi from the TB petrol station to get to Koirasalmi.
- From Perho and Kinnula there are bus services (www.matkahuolto.fi) on weekdays to the village of Salamajärvi, near the western end of the National Park.
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Salamajärvi (www.journey.fi)
Customer Service and Guidance
- The area is open every day 24/7.
- Tel. int. +358 206 39 5270 (mon-fri 09:00-15:00).
- Email. email@example.com
- Koirasalmi Nature Information is also helping for customer service throughout the year.
Please read instructions and rules in Salamajärvi National Park before visiting.
You can leave your photos and review at the bottom of this page! Enjoy your visit!