Patvinsuo National Park
- National park in Lieksa and Ilomantsi, in the North Karelia region of Finland.
- It was established in 1982 and covers 105 square kilometers.
- The area has bogs, former managed forest and slash-and-burn areas and some old-growth forests.
- Scanning the open marshes of Patvinsuo you might be lucky enough to see a distant bear, though bears typically do their best to avoid people.
- Lake Suomunjärvi is in a ridge area that formed in the late part of the last ice age. There are about ten islands in the lake with labyrinthine inlets. There are about 24 kilometres of sandy shoreline.
- Patvinsuo National Park is brilliant for hiking. There are 80 kilometers of marked walking trails in the area.
- Suitable for visitors of all ages all year. Access for wheelchairs, if assisted, from Suomu Nature Information Hut to the campfire site by Lake Suomunjärvi.
How to Get There?
- From Lieksa
Take road 73. South of Lieksa turn onto road 522 (from Pankakoski to Ilomantsi) and continue along it for 39 km. Go through the centre of Hatunkylä Village and turn onto road 5202 (From Kivilahti to Kitsi) in the direction of Uimaharju, where the sign to the National Park is pointing. About 15 km down this road there is an intersection with signposts to the park. Turn left and drive for 6 km to the Nature Information Hut.
- From Joensuu
Take Road 73. At the Uimaharju traffic-circle turn onto road 5160. Continue along this road for 16 km and then turn right onto road 5202 (from Kivilahti to Kitsi). There are signposts along this road to the National Park. There is an intersection with signposts about 20 km down this road. Turn right and drive 6 km to the Nature Information Hut.
By Public Transport
Find Taxi • Find Railway station • Find Airport
Customer Service and Guidance
The main information and guide point is Suomu Nature Information Hut near Lake Suomunjärvi.
- Sale of maps and fishing permits.
- Rental of canoes, boats and sauna. Indoor lodging at Suomu Nature Information Hut for a fee. Payment in cash only.
- Contact Suomu’s guide: p. +358 465 720 766 / Pekka Turunen.
Please read instructions and rules in Patvinsuo National Park before visiting.
You can leave your photos and review at the bottom of this page! Enjoy your visit!