Päijänne National Park is a national park in the Asikkala, Padasjoki and Sysmä areas.
- The park covers an area of 14 square kilometers and was established in 1993.
- Päijänne National Park is located in the southern part of the second largest lake in Finland, Päijänne.
- It includes about 50 undeveloped islands and wildlife and parts of the inhabited islands. Some of the islands are sandy gray islands, some are rocky and moraine islands. The most important tourist destinations are the largest island Kelvenne and Pulkkilanharju.
- Since the National Park is mainly located on the islands, most of the park is accessible only by water. Kelvenne, with its many lagoons, is a popular boating destination. Haapasaari has the building of the last fishery farm in South Päijänne.
- The area has also been renovated by WWF volunteers. Päijantsalo Observation Tower is undergoing renovation in 2019.
How to Get There?
- It is possible to reach some parts of the National Park by car.
The road 314 (Vääksy – Sysmä) goes through Pulkkilanharju Ridge, which forms the south-eastern gate of the National Park. On the bridges of this road, you get a great view over the National Park and the large open water areas of Lake Päijänne.
From Padasjoki, you can drive via Kellosalmi Bridge to Virmaila, which is the largest island of Lake Päijänne. A part of Virmaila Island belongs to the National park, and the campfire place in Höysniemi is accessible by car.
- The National Park mostly consists of islands and islets, which cannot be reached without a boat. Several entrepreneurs offer boat services at Päijänne.
- Padasjoki Harbour (Laivaranta, Padasjoki) is the best starting point when going to Päijänne National Park.
By Public Transportation
Find Taxi • Find Railway station • Find Airport
Customer Service and Guidance
- The area is open every day 24/7.
Metsähallitus answers questions about Päijänne National Park round the year:
+358 206 39 5270 (mon-fri 09:00-15:00), email@example.com.
Please read instructions and rules in Päijänne National Park before visiting.
You can leave your photos and review at the bottom of this page! Enjoy your visit!