Helvetinjärvi National Park
Located in the municipality of Ruovesi in Pirkanmaa region.
- 49.8 square kilometer national park established in 1982.
- Lake Helvetinjärvi is characterized by gorge valleys that are millions of years old, creating a rugged and varied character in the everlasting forest of Pirkanmaa.
- The best known of the many gorges in the area is the Helvetinkolu in the southeast corner of Lake Helvetinjärvi, which has been a well-known tourist attraction since the 19th century.
- The park is mainly a former commercial forest. The storms that raged in 2010 felled a lot of forest in the area. The traces of the storm diversify the nature of the area as fallen trees are left to rot in the park. This helps many insects, such as beetles and dicotyledons, that are dependent on rotting wood.
- Hell`s Gate has a restaurant, toilet, shower, water point, RV area, cottage rental and parking. The restaurant has an info point, souvenirs and local food as wild boar and ostrich.
- Helvetinjärvi National Park is above all a place of breathtaking views: deep gorges, steep-walled lakes and small ponds hidden in the woods. The park’s two gorges were formed between 150 and 200 million years ago by faults in the bedrock.
- The walking trails take you through an ancient landscape that have inspired many an artist over the centuries.
- Many campfire sites and cooking shelters in the area.
You can leave your photos and review at the bottom of this page! Enjoy your visit!